Interbrand – Money and prestige
Thursday, September 1, 2011


Last week Monday I started what was expected to be a two to three month project at Interbrand via the recruitment agency Network.

Against my gut instinct I took on the project in order to strengthen my claim to have worked with Interbrand, get another top-tier brand into my portfolio as well as enjoy a decent length contract with a world-class consultancy.

It turns out that the client was indeed a premium brand, in fact one of the best British Brands of all time, but the project was a workplace brand identity and what I would have normally created for a brand had already been established by another brand identity creative.

During a couple of phone interviews with the Creative Director and Design Director the week before I was assured that there was room to progress the work but I didn't enquire about the extent that progress would be possible in terms of developing the fundamental character of the brand.

After being given plenty of space to immerse myself in the strategy to a high level of detail I soon realised that there wouldn't be much of an opportunity to improve the work, it was very good, approved by the client and, to my surprise, already in use. So when the client pulled the project in order to continue implementing the brand internally after the better part of the week of my involvement (for cost reasons) I was hugely relieved.

Interbrand offered to keep me busy with bits and pieces for a while longer but I felt it was better to call it quits altogether on this occasion. Normally if I don't have the opportunity to add real value to a brand then I'm not interested. And, now this will also mean, not interested even if it makes me look good on paper – no matter who the consultancy or how prestigious the brand.






Permalink